At this ‘hands-on’ workshop Heidi Hansen will demonstrate and teach the principles of fermentation and pro-biotic cultures. She’ll share some of her best recipes and know-how on a variety of fermented foods including beet kvass, yogurt cheese, whey, sauerkraut, small (low-alcohol) mead and kefir soda. The class will cover:
- the benefits of making and eating fermented foods for improved digestive health,
- the DOs and DON’Ts of fermentation,
- how to know if your kefir grains are dying,
- making a perfect, simple batch of mead,
- types of containers to use,
- fitting fermentation into a busy schedule,
- making the process very affordable, and
- good sources for ingredients.
Participants will sample a variety of these healthy foods. There will be a materials fee (TBD) covering ingredients and containers so participants can take their work home.
Note: Morning and afternoon workshops will cover a different assortment of fermentation processes and foods. Participants are welcome to take one or both, and there will be a discount for those taking both in addition to the usual discount for students, seniors, and others with financial limitations.